TROY — The Troy Rotary club announced that several members have received the Paul Harris Fellow recognition for donations made in 2016. Harris was an attorney in Chicago who, in 1905, formed the first Rotary club so professionals with diverse backgrounds could exchange ideas, form lifelong friendships and give back to their communities through service projects.
The recognition was established in 1957 to show appreciation for contributions made to The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International. Today, there are more than one million Paul Harris Fellows, including those in whose name a $1,000 donation has been made but are not members of a Rotary club.
St. Teresa of Calcutta (formerly known as Mother Teresa) was named a Paul Harris Fellow in 1980, thanks to a donation made by the Rotary Club of Pikesville, Md. The donations are used to support programs sponsored by Rotary International to end polio, support the annual fund or provide an approved Foundation grant.
In 2016, donations made by Rotarians Carol Baer, Richard Bender, Thomas (Tom) Giere, John Haller, Joan Heidelberg, James (Jim) Johnson and Kathleen Moore prompted the recognition. Bender’s wife, Cheryl, received one donated by her husband in appreciation for all her support as he serves as the club’s president for 2016-17. Haller made a donation to honor his wife, Junessa, for her steadfast encouragement of his participation in Rotary. To learn more about the Paul Harris Fellow recognition, visit https://www.rotary.org/en/about-rotary/history/paul-harris-society.
To learn more about Rotary and membership, visit www.troyohiorotary.org.