Bond Houser Sr., 1880-1951, was inducted into the Troy Hall of Fame for his role in the Troy Sunshade Co., work that brought notoriety to Troy.
According to information provided by the Troy Hall of Fame, Houser led the Troy Sunshade Co. for more than 20 years and is acknowledged for his role in making the city of Troy known around the world as the city that produced innovative outdoor and commercial furniture.
Houser also founded the Troy Rotary Club in 1918 and functioned as president from 1920-21.
Houser, having married the only daughter of former Troy Sunshade Co. President H. Franklin Douglas, was sales manager for the company for 26 years, and served as president for more than 20 years.
According to the Troy Sunshade Co. website, the company was founded in 1887 by local businessman Frank Douglas and Gus Stouder.
With the slogan, and business philosophy, “There is no substitution for quality,” the company expanded, and by 1960 collaborated with the Hobart Corp. to become “manufacturing neighbors.”
Both companies believed in that same philosophy.
Two years later, Troy Sunshade became a Division of Hobart.
In 1982, Troy Sunshade was sold, at which time it was relocated by its new owner to its current location at 607 Riffle Ave., Greenville.