Two Mulberry Street traffic lights to be removed

By Melanie Yingst - [email protected]

TROY — Last week, the city of Troy began the process of removing two stop lights on Mulberry Street and will continue to monitor the new traffic pattern.

The two sets of lights, at Race and Mulberry and the other set on Mulberry and Simpson, have been bagged and traffic will continue to be monitored before they are removed.

According to the city of Troy’s public service and safety director Patrick Titterington, the city held a traffic light study in 2014 and only a few residents contacted the city about the Mulberry Street lights during the study.

“They will be bagged for 90 days, during which we will accept more comments,” Titterington said. “Staff will be monitoring the new pattern and then the lights will be removed after March 1, unless we see something that makes us change our minds.”

Eleven residents responded to the Mulberry and Simpson light, with six against and five in favor. For Mulberry and Race, the city had a total of six responses, one against and five in favor.

The city also studied the stoplight at Cedar and West Main Street. The city received 28 comments against the removal of that light.

“We also noted more pedestrian traffic in that crosswalk so we have deferred indefinitely taking that light out,” Titterington said.

By Melanie Yingst

[email protected]

Reach Melanie Yingst at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @Troydailynews

Reach Melanie Yingst at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @Troydailynews

comments powered by Disqus