• FARMERS MARKET: The Miami County Farmers Market will open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Lowe’s parking lot, Troy, with local, plants, vegetables, maple syrup and more.
• FISH FRY: The Troy Fish & Game will offer a fish fry beginning at 6 p.m.
• RE-DEDICATION: The re-dedication of the rebuilt Veteran Monument at Miami Memorial Park Cemetery, 7875 N. Crescent Road, Covington, will be at 1 p.m. Decorated speakers will include Jim Miller and Chuck Morrow, both Distinguished Flying Cross recipients. Many organizations, including the Covington American Legion, AMVETS, VFW and more will be recognized during the dedication.
• STAR WARS: Join staff for a matinee movie showing “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” at noon at the Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library, 12 N. Main St., Pleasant Hill. The movie is rated PG-13 and runs for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Popcorn is provided. For more information, call (937) 676-2731.
• BIRDS & BLOOMS: The Miami County Park District will hold its Preschool in the Park “Birds & Blooms” program from 11 a.m. to noon at Lost Creek Reserve, 2385 E. State Route 41, east of Troy. Join park district naturalist Gecko Jody as she leads the group in play, a craft and toddler sized hike. Read a book together and then head out onto the trail to discover the many colorful wildflowers and birds. Children will use color swatches and binoculars to help them along the way. There is a $3 class fee due at the time of registration. Class size limited to 12, class minimum is four. Must be registered to attend. Register for the program by sending an email to [email protected], going to the program calendar at www.MiamiCountyParks.com or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109. Credit card payments are now accepted online at time of registration.
• DISCOVERY HIKE: The Miami County Park District will hold its Family Discovery Hike “Animal Senses” from 1:30-3 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve, 9750 State Route 185 north of Covington. Join park district naturalist Accipiter Amalee to learn about nature on a guided hike designed for children with autism and their families, but all are welcome. Each hike will include 1-2 different social skills to practice along with several fun activities. Class minimum four families, maximum 10 families. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing [email protected] or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• BLOOD DRIVE: The West Milton Masonic Lodge will support the Community Blood Center “Wild About Alaska Adventure for Two” Summer Blood Drive campaign by hosting a blood drive from 9 a.m. to noon at 102 N. Washington St. Donors are encouraged to schedule an appointment online at www.DonorTime.com or call (800) 388-GIVE.
• KARAOKE: The American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, will host karaoke from 7 p.m. to close.
• FREE LUNCH: God’s Table, a community-wide free lunch, will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 325 W. Ash St. Everyone is welcome to come and enjoy the first picnic lunch of old fashion hot dogs, baked beans, macaroni salad, chips and dessert.
• PORK CHOPS: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer a marinated pork chop (non-marinated pork chops available upon request) dinner with baked potato and corn for $9 from 5-7 p.m.
• CHICKADEE PAINTING: Brukner Nature Center will offer the community the chance to paint a portrait of a chickadee from 1-4 p.m. A BNC Naturalist will provide an introduction to the natural history of the woodland creatures, then Lisa Bauer of the Mayflower Arts Center will guide painters. This opportunity is $35 per person, ages 13 to adult, and includes refreshments and all materials including 12-by-12-inch canvas. All proceeds benefit the Brukner Nature Center Wildlife Ambassador program.
• BADGE PROGRAM: The Miami County Park District will hold its Girl Scout badge program “Daisy — Rose Petal” at 1 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve, 9750 State Route 185, Covington. Participants can come out and work on their Rosie Petal badge while learning how to make the world a better place by planting native wildflowers and plants to help local ecosystems. Program can be used towards service project hours. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing [email protected] or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• HIKER BADGE: The Miami County Park District will hold its Girl Scout “Hiker Badge” program at 3 p.m. at Stillwater Prairie Reserve, 9750 State Route 185, Covington. Participants will explore the woods and look for wildlife on this afternoon hike. Make sure to wearing sturdy shoes for hiking. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing [email protected] or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• STORYBOOK TRAIL: The Miami County Park District will host the storybook trail program “Dinner Party for the Birds” from 1-3 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Rd. south of Tipp City. Drop by and read this book written by John De Boer and illustrated by Susan Nelson. The storybook is set up along the trail for participants to read. Dinner Party for the Birds helps to teach how to identify the different birds by their sounds. Drop in anytime during the program. More information can be found on the park district website MiamiCountyParks.com.
• ADVENTURE SERIES: The Miami County Park District will hold its Naturalist Adventure Series “Birds, Birds, Birds” from 1-4 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. Drop by to learn all about birds. Participants can learn to identify birds by their sounds and try to spot them with binoculars. A roving naturalist will be on-site to answer questions and facilitate activity. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing [email protected] or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• ARTIST RECEPTION: An artist reception for regional artist, Jerry McGlothen, whose photographs of Italy are on display in the Troy-Hayner Cultural Center’s art studio thru July 7 will be offered from 2-4 p.m. The exhibit and reception are free and open to the public.
• BREAKFAST: The Sons of the American Legion Squadron 586, Tipp City, will present an all-you-can-eat breakfast for $6 from 8-11 a.m. Items available will be eggs your way, bacon, sausage, biscuits, sausage gravy, pancakes, French toast, regular toast, waffles, home fries, cinnamon rolls, juices and fruit.
• CRAFTY LISTENERS: The Crafty Listeners gather from 1-2:30 p.m. at the Milton-Union Public Library. The group of women to a gentle audiobook while working on joint and individual craft projects. Both experienced crafters and those wanting to learn are welcome.
• MOMS & TOTS: The Miami County Park District will hold its Trailing Moms & Tots program from 10 a.m. to noon at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Road, south of Tipp City. This program is for expectant mothers, mothers and tots 0 to five years of age. Participants can socialize, play and exercise during this walk. Stops will be made along the way to explore nature’s tiny wonders. Be sure to dress for the weather. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing [email protected] or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• BOOK CLUB: Join staff for a lively discussion at the Troy-Miami County Public Library’s adult book club at 6:30 p.m.. Staff will be reading and discussing “A Bitter Truth” by Charles Todd for the month of May. The Book Lovers Anonymous Book Club usually meets at 6:30 p.m. on the fourth Monday of the month; we read a variety of fiction and nonfiction titles. For more information, call 339-0502, Ext. 120, or visit our website at www.tmcpl.org.
• TEXAS TENDERLOIN: The American Legion Post 586, Tipp City, will present a Texas-size tenderloin sandwich with toppings and French fries for $5 starting at 6 p.m.
• OPTIMISTS MEET: The Troy Noon Optimist Club will meet at noon at LaPiazza.
• CENTER OPEN: The Pleasant Hill History Center, 8 E. Monument St., Pleasant Hill, is open from 3-7 p.m.
• TOPS: The T.O.P.S. (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) Club meets at 5:45 p.m. at the Zion Lutheran Church, Main and 3rd streets, Tipp City. For more information, call (937) 332-9251.
• Tipp City Board of Education will meet at 6:30 p.m. at the board office, 90 S. Tippecanoe Drive. Call 667-8444 for more information.
• The Covington Street Committee will meet immediately following the regular council meeting.
• Brown Township Board of Trustees will meet at 8 p.m. in the Township Building in Conover.
• COME UNWIND: Join staff at the Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library in Pleasant Hill as they unwind from our busy lives and just color. If you’re stressed, try this latest trend for stress relief at the Pleasant Hill library, 12 N. Main St., Pleasant Hill, from 6:30-7:30 p.m. The library will supply the cocoa and all of the art supplies. For more information, call the Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library in Pleasant Hill at 937-676-2731. The Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library is located at 12 North Main Street in Pleasant Hill.
• RESERVATIONS: Reservations are needed prior to today for the Miami County Chapter of Ohio Public Employee Retirees meting set for 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, June 1, at St. John’s Lutheran Church, 248 Wood St., Piqua. Enter parking lot from Downing Street. Lunch is $10, payable at the door. To make a reservation, call Beth at (937) 335-2771. The speaker will be Bill Beagle, Ohio Senator from the 5th District. This meeting is open to any retired or currently employed Ohio public employee.
• BARBERSHOP MEETING: The Miami Shelby Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society meets every Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Greene Street UMC, 415 W. Greene St., Piqua. All men interested in singing are welcome and visitors are always welcome. For more information, call (937) 778 1586 or visit www.melodymenchorus.org.
• The village of West Milton Council will have its workshop meeting at 7 p.m. in the council chambers.
• COUPON CLUB: The St. James Coupon Club will meet from 6-8 p.m. at St. James Episcopal Church, 200 W. High St., Piqua. Come, bring a friend, bring your coupons to work on, to share and trade, or just bring yourself if you are just getting started. For questions, call 773-1241.
• KIWANIS MEETING: The Piqua Kiwanis Club will meet at noon at The Bistro Room, 1876 Commerce Drive, Piqua. The Piqua Area United Fund Executive Director Sean Ford. For more information, call Brian Phillips at 778-1586) or visit www.freewebs.com/piquakiwanis/.
• KIWANIS MEETING: The Kiwanis Club of Troy will conduct a membership drive, encouraging all prospective members to join them for lunch at noon at the Troy Country Club, to learn more about the service projects they participate in that benefit the youth in the community.
• BOARD MEETING: The May board meeting for the Miami County Educational Service Center will be at 5:15 p.m.
• BLOOD DRIVE: The Troy Church of the Brethren will support the Community Blood Center “Wild About Alaska Adventure for Two” Summer Blood Drive campaign by hosting a blood drive from 3-7 p.m. in the multi-purpose room, 1431 W. Main St. Donors are encouraged to schedule an appointment online at www.DonorTime.com or call (800) 388-GIVE.
• 55 MPH PLUS: Senior experts Eva Garman, Lori Reeves and Christian Gillum will lead a panel to discuss questions concerning retirement, caregiving, and estate planning from noon to 1:30 p.m. in Milton-Union Public Library’s “55 MPH Plus: Steer Yourself in the Right Direction.” They will not be selling any products or places, but offering guidance on the path for aging futures. The presentation is part of the “Lunch and Learn” series.
• MOVIE NIGHT: “Norm of the North” will be shown at 6 p.m. at the Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library, 12 N. Main St., Pleasant Hill. The movie is rated PG and runs for 1 1/2 hours. Popcorn is provided. For more information, call (937) 676-2731.
• TACO SALAD: The American Legion Auxiliary Unit 586, Tipp City, will serve taco salad for $4 starting at 6 p.m. Euchre starts at 7 p.m. for $5.
• TRUSTEE MEETING: The Tipp City Seniors Board of Trustees will meet at 10 a.m. at 320 S. First St., Tipp City.
• CARRY-IN: The Tipp City Seniors will have a carry-in luncheon at noon at 320 S. First St., Tipp City. Jim Martin will speak on “Drones” following the lunch.
• LECTURE SERIES: WACO will host author S. Carlisle May as a first time guest speaker. As part of the WACO Aviation Lecture Series, May will recount the story of Dr. Lamb Myhr, a flight surgeon of World War II. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m., and the lecture will begin at 7 p.m. There is no charge for the event. Donations can be made to WACO Historical Society in order to support the Lecture Series. WACO Air Museum is located at 1865 S. County Road 25-A, Troy. For more information, visit wacoairmuseum.org or call (937) 335-9226.
• LUNCH ON THE LAWN: The Miami County Cattlemen’s Association Lunch on the Lawn will be offered from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the courthouse lawn, Troy. Meals will be $6 for sirloin sandwich or $7 for ribeye sandwich, along with chips, cookie and a pop or water.
• STREETS ALIVE: Troy Main Street will offer Troy Streets Alive: Dancing in the Streets! from 5-9 p.m. in downtown Troy. The streets will be chock full of artists, musicians, street sales and other entertainment as stores and restaurants stay open late and offer a variety of great incentives and promotions. A special theme to the event will feature local dance groups that will demonstrate their various styles in the southwest quadrant of the square. For more information, visit www.troymainstreet.org.
• PIZZA: The Troy Fish & Game will offer pizza beginning at 6 p.m.
• SUMMER READING: Today marks the first day for sign-ups for the Milton-Union Public Library! Adults, teens and children can all take part in the summer program, themed around fitness, health, and of course, reading. Get more information at the front counter or www.mupubliclibrary.org.
• BADGE PROGRAM: The Miami County Park District will hold its Girl Scout “Cadette — Night Owl Badge” program at 9 p.m. at Charleston Falls Preserve, 2535 Ross Rd. south of Tipp City. Participants bring your flashlight for this after dark adventure with park district naturalist Accipiter Amalee. Learn the calls of Ohio’s owls and frogs and then go looking for them. Make sure to wearing sturdy shoes for hiking. Register for the program by going to the program calendar at MiamiCountyParks.com, emailing [email protected] or calling (937) 335-6273, Ext. 109.
• MEATLOAF: The American Legion Riders, Post 586, Tipp City, will offer a dinner of meatloaf, two sides, salad and dessert starting at 6 p.m. for $8.
• SEAFOOD DINNER: The Pleasant Hill VFW Post 6557, 7578 W. Fenner Road, Ludlow Falls, will offer a three-piece fried fish dinner, 21-piece fried shrimp, or a fish/shrimp combo with French fries and coleslaw for $7 and up, from 6-7:30 p.m. Frog legs, when available, are $10.