25 Year Ago: April 3-9, 1991
• Troy – Following a bumpy start, the city recycling program which began in November is ready to move forward. Two smaller companies attempted to the handle the pickup duties but were unable to keep their commitments. In light of this, the city accepted bids for a contract and decided to hire Blaylock Trucking, a division of Waste Management of Moraine, as the new recycling partner in Troy. A contract for three years totally almost $410,000 was recommended for acceptance. The longer contract locks in the cost and will save money in comparison to annual contracts over the same period. Residents in the city will be billed for the service at a rate of $1.24 per month, which will be added to their utility bill.
50 Years Ago: April 3-9, 1966
• Pleasant Hill – The steering committee for the Centennial Celebration in Pleasant Hill has been chosen and set. The committee has also selected its motto for the celebration: “Building Together Today For A Better Tomorrow.” Committee members are: Thomas Bohlander, president and general chairman; Gary Fessler, vice-president; Fred Snider, secretary; Larry Robbins, treasurer; Bill Favorite and Charles Stanforth, trustees. Numerous other individuals have been named to committees which are in charge of the parade, history, publicity, souvenirs, and arrangements. The main celebration will take place June 23-26. (Columnist’s Note: Pleasant Hill is celebrating an additional 50 years of existence as they commemorate their sesquicentennial this year. A pictorial history book is being published, along with plans for a parade and other celebratory events for the community. You can find out more about the sesquicentennial on Facebook or the Pleasant Hill History Center webpage.)
75 Years Ago: April 3-9, 1941
• Troy – Dr. E.R. Torrence has reached an agreement for transfer of property with the Troy Eagles and now has taken possession of the former Eagles building on West Main Street. Dr. Torrence is having the old building remodeled for use as offices and a home. Dr. Torrence’s office rooms will occupy the east side of the building’s first floor, while the west side of the structure is being remodeled for Shipman & Shipman law offices. The second floor will be used as Dr. & Mrs. Torrence’s home. (Columnist’s Note: This building was originally constructed in 1847 by Henry S. Mayo and later sold it to Christian Ziegenfelder, who enlarged the home. The house was in the Ziegenfelder family until it was sold to the Troy Eagles in 1927. In 1959, the building was sold again, this time to Miller & Bazler, Attorneys-at-law. The structure is still used for the law offices by the firm of Miller & Luring.)
• Troy – Miss Anne Arnold, Mrs. Perlema Sewell and Mrs. Vera Godsey led discussion on the subjects of the care of hands, care of skin and care of hair, during the second session of health week at the Lincoln Community Center. Approximately fifty people attended the sessions. Dr. Robert White, Mrs. Ada Young and Dr. Frederick D. McFarlane were also special guest speakers on topics regarding good health.
100 Years Ago: April 3-9, 1916
• Casstown – This village has their electric current supplied by the Springfield, Troy & Piqua Traction Company, but recently the community has been looking into installing their own power plant that would be generated by water power at the Burkholder Mill. Professor Haworth of the Ohio State University recently visited the mill and determined that there is enough water power to supply 75-100 horse power for a current. The village council will determine if municipal power station or the present situation under the S.T. & P. is the better road to travel.
• Troy – Clifford Thomson has completed a real estate contract with the Troy Telephone Company and has purchased the lot north of and adjoining the company’s building in first block of South Market Street. Mr. Thomson plans to erect a three-story brick structure which will house his furniture business, Thomson and Son. (Columnist’s Note: This building is the same one which housed BK Photo for many years and is now the home of Amish Country Furniture. Following the Thomson & Son business, the Campbell Furniture Company utilized the building for a few years before the Great A & P Tea Company occupied the structure during the Depression. But many older Trojans will remember the building as the Troy Hardware Company.)
Patrick D. Kennedy is archivist at the Troy-Miami County Public Library’s Local History Library, 100 W. Main St., Troy. He may be contacted by calling (937) 335-4082 or sending an email to [email protected]