Piqua woman gets probation for drug trafficking

Troy man’s rape charges dismissed

By Melanie Yingst - [email protected]

MIAMI COUNTY — A Piqua woman was sentenced to serve two years of community control on Monday for trafficking heroin in Miami County Common Pleas Court.

Elizabeth Yearsley, 36, of Piqua, pleaded guilty to fourth-degree felony trafficking heroin and fifth-degree felony possession of heroin in Miami County Commons Pleas Court last month. It was Yearsley’s first felony offenses.

Yearsley said the charges were a wake-up call in her life.

“The road I was going down wasn’t good,” she told Judge Jeannine Pratt prior to sentencing. “I feel really good. I have a fresh start for a new life.”

Yearsley was charged after a drug search warrant was served at a residence on the 300 block of Young Street in Piqua in March. The Piqua Police Department had received multiple tips regarding possible drug trafficking at the home. Officers began an investigation and established probable cause to obtain the drug-related search warrant. During the search, suspected drugs and paraphernalia were reportedly discovered.

Yearsley was reportedly found in the home along with her 9-year-old son and a 10-year-old niece.

Judge Pratt said she appreciated the steps Yearsley had taken to seek treatment at the Miami County Recovery Council after she was released from jail. Yearsley said she has been attending counseling sessions and group meetings several times a week since she has been released. Judge Pratt also recommended Yearsley apply for the county’s drug court program to assist her in her recovery.

Yearsley was given 63 days of jail credit, ordered to pay $125 in restitution to the Piqua Police Department and serve 20 hours of community service among other conditions of her probation.

Charges dismissed

Miami County prosecutors dismissed three felony indictments of alleged rape of a minor against a Troy man on Monday.

Michael Slagle, 36, of Troy, entered a plea of not guilty on an indictment of three counts of first degree felony rape earlier this year. According to Miami County Assistant Prosecutor Paul Watkins, the victim was no longer cooperative, but new charges may be filed at a later date. A trial was set to begin on Tuesday before the indictments were dismissed and approved by Judge Pratt.

According to court records, the alleged incidents occurred in Troy from June through August 2015.

Troy man’s rape charges dismissed

By Melanie Yingst

[email protected]

Reach Melanie Yingst at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @Troydailynews

Reach Melanie Yingst at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @Troydailynews

comments powered by Disqus