By Patrick D. Kennedy - Archivist

25 Years Ago: May 29-June 4, 1991

Pleasant Hill – Newton’s Senior softball player Richel Nuttall, who hit .481, had 23 RBI’s, 19 stolen bases in 22 attempts , two triples and 8 doubles this season, was recognized by being named First Team All-State. The honor caps off a season of recognition for Nuttall’s achievements and completes a sweep of being named First Team All-Cross Country Conference and First Team All-District. She was also recently recognized with Newton’s Coaches Award.

Troy – The Troy Strawberry Festival had some special visitors this year. Fifteen representatives from Takahashi City, Japan, Troy’s sister city, are visiting the area. This is the first multiple-member delegation from Takahashi City since the sister city relationship was initiated in 1989. The delegation has a busy schedule of events and sites to visit, but Mayor Campbell and Troy’s leaders are attempting to expose the visitors to a “cross section” of life in Troy, including the sights, sounds and tastes of the Strawberry Festival.

50 Years Ago: May 29-June 4, 1966

Covington – In 1964, Miami County achieved a first in the nation when it used Cor-Ten (A-242 Steel) in the construction of the bridge over Brush Creek on Frederick-Garland Rd. Now, according to Miami County Engineer Arthur Haddad, the county is once again utilizing the steel in the construction of a bridge on Klinger Rd, near Covington. According to Mr. Haddad, Miami County was cited in several trade magazines for the first use of Cor-Ten and he has received numerous queries from around the country about its strength and integrity. “The steel is a high strength material used mainly for its light weight and durability.” (Columnist’s Note: In an email, Mr. Haddad confirmed the use and durability of the Cor-Ten steel, which was developed by U.S. Steel, by stating that several bridges were constructed in Miami County using the steel and “to the best of my knowledge they are still in use.”)

Troy – This past week La Sertoma had quite a meeting. They had a scheduled guest who, according to their president, could not make the meeting and then proceeded to introduce a ‘special speaker,’ who was visiting from the Soviet Union, and was asked to share some of his thoughts on his country, communism and the United States. The guest went on to share his mind on the benefits of communism and decadence of capitalism, all to the dismay and anger of many members and young people in attendance. The speaker was peppered with many questions afterwards. Following the questions and answers, it was revealed that the special guest was actually the original speaker, John A. Eppling, the prosecuting attorney for Gallion County, in disguise. It was an interesting evening. (Columnist’s Note: I wonder if people today would still have the same response.)

75 Years Ago: May 29-June 4, 1941

Troy – Memorial Day saw the opening of the new Troy swimming pool on West Main St. The new pool will be called The Trojan Swim. W.H. and Dale Miller, operators of the pool at Miller’s Grove, purchased the old Hawthorne Swimming facility about a year ago and demolished the building and refurbished the swimming pool for its current use. It is believed to be one of the finest pools in the area. In addition, a new wading pool for young children and a lunch stand have been added. A chain-linked fence has been put around the facility for safety. (Columnist’s Note: The site of the swimming pool was at the northwest corner of W. Main St. and Ridge Ave. It was the location of the old city water works at the turn-of-the-century and is now the location of Monroe Mufflers. Although it was under different management and names over the years, the pool lasted into the early 1970’s.)

100 Years Ago: May 29-June 4, 1916

Troy – The cornerstone laying for the foundation of what will be the new St. Patrick’s Church took place on Sunday with the Rev. J.M. Feldman, former pastor, and Rev. A.J. Mentink, current pastor, in charge of the ceremony. The stone was donated by Charles Briggs and Son and is of blue Vermont marble. It bears the inscription of “St. Patrick, 1916.” A copper box containing mementos of the time was placed in the stone. In addition to church related items, including church newsletter, membership list and a photo of the church and its surroundings from 25 years ago, a current edition of the Troy Daily News and the Troy Daily Record were also placed in the box.

By Patrick D. Kennedy


Patrick D. Kennedy is archivist at the Troy-Miami County Public Library’s Local History Library, 100 W. Main St., Troy. He may be contacted by calling (937) 335-4082 or sending an email to [email protected]

Patrick D. Kennedy is archivist at the Troy-Miami County Public Library’s Local History Library, 100 W. Main St., Troy. He may be contacted by calling (937) 335-4082 or sending an email to [email protected]

comments powered by Disqus