Kids start property fire with matches

By Christina Chalmers

May 31, 2014

DARKE COUNTY - Several area fire departments and EMS units responded to a property fire at 2813 U.S. Route 127 early Saturday afternoon.

According to resident Shannon Miller, the fire started in a barn on the property after she learned that her kids and their friends were playing with matches.

“There was a lot of stuff in that barn, it just went so quickly,” Miller said.

The barn was completely destroyed and the fire quickly moved from it to an unattached garage and then to the back of the two-story frame home.

Miller was distraught about losing her father’s home, he’d passed away recently.

“Everything we own is in that house,” she said.

Miller, an male adult and six children escaped the fires without harm.

The Darke County Chapter of the American Red Cross was called out to assist the family.